If I have a job and freelance on the side, how is that taxed?

First things first: any income you earn from freelance work needs to be reported when you file your taxes. If you make more than $600 from a single client, they should give you a 1099 form. This will show how much they paid you so that you can file accordingly.

Even if you don't get a 1099, you still have to report the income..

If you have any expenses for your freelance work, you can deduct them to lower your taxable income. Some of these may include:

  • Computer & softwares
  • Courses & communities
  • Home office supplies
  • Self-employment tax

Also read: 17 important tax deductions for freelancers

But if you have a 9-5 and you freelance on the side, the overall tax filing process should be relatively straightforward.

For example, let's say you made $70,000 from your job and $20,000 from freelance work. The $70k would be reported on IRS Form 1040 and the $20,000 would be reported on IRS Form 1040 - Schedule C.

Before deductions, your income would be $90,000. Then, how you choose to categorize expenses and finalize deductions will influence how much your final tax bill is.

Remember: no taxes are withheld from self-employed income so you must set aside the appropriate percentage for your tax bracket (typically 20-30%).

Also, even if you aren't structured as a business, income you earn on the side is considered "self-employment income" and you would be considered a sole proprietor.

Taxes are confusing as it is and two different types of income can make it more challenging, so I highly recommend working with a tax professional to make sure that you aren't leaving money on the table.

Have a question about money or business? Submit it here
Get access to my first book for free
A 67-page, easy-to-understand breakdown of what you need to know about managing money as a freelancer or solo creative

relevant posts.

← Back to the blog
🏠 Back home
© 2020-24 Piertree. All rights reserved. Crafted by Converting Attention. By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy.
Financial planning & investment advisory services are provided by AllStreet Wealth. The firm is a registered investment adviser with the state of Missouri and Indiana, and may only transact business with residents of those states, or residents of other states where otherwise legally permitted subject to exemption or exclusion from registration requirements. Registration with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission or any state securities authority does not imply a certain level of skill or training.
← All Posts